Kicking the coffee habit during pregnancy or breastfeeding is a great idea... putting that idea into a practice can be another story. While the consensus is one cup of coffee per day during pregnancy or breastfeeding may be OK... it is not the ideal. Caffeine in any addictive manner can be detrimental to adequate hormonal balance and overall health. It causes a draining effect on the body and creates a dependency for circulation and tension. Starting out the parenting journey with overall healthy sleep and nutritional habits will be crucial to your future health. Want to sleep when the baby sleeps? Try this coffee alternative to help you break the caffeine, and preservative habit.
(No, I am not receiving funding by this, I simply like their product and their company). Mountain Rose Herbs makes a lovely Herbal Coffee blend that has a very similar taste to regular coffee - sans the caffeine and avec nutritional sustenance! Let's take a look.
All organic & roasted:
- Dandelion root - While roots are typically prepared in a decoction form (placing the herbs in the water as they simmer vs. steeping) - steeping just as you would any other leaf tea provides a more mild bitter form which is pleasing as a beverage drink. Dandelion root is an excellent stimulant to the urinary organs - namely the kidneys and liver. In pregnancy, this helps to cleanse toxins from the body and blood which is a crucial part of avoiding common ailments such as eclampsia.
- Chicory root - Chicory is that lovely "weed" you see growing along most highways with hard stems and lapis blue flowers. The roots have long been used as a coffee alternative and additive. Similar benefits as dandelion root.
- Carob - Rich in many minerals including iron and calcium (a better source than milk). Calcium helps bone health but also crucial for the nervous system - a very important role in hormonal balance and gestation.
- Maca powder - Similar benefits as carob.
We're going to add milk, honey, and vanilla.
All of these herbs are selected for their taste similarities to coffee rather than their specific nutritional and health benefits. However, having the option of a little added nutrition vs. the caffeine and lower nutritional amounts of coffee can be a beneficial switch in your routine to better health. If you're a black coffee drinker, you may not find the differences appealing at first. The herbal aftertaste is hidden better in a flavored blend or iced form - which is how I like to drink it.
[heading type="h6" margintop="28px" marginbottom="28px" bordered="no" align="left"]Herbal Iced [color]Coffee Alternative[/color][/heading]
- 1 Tblsp Herbal Coffee Blend
- 6-8 oz Boiling Water
- 2/3 C Organic Milk
- 1 tsp (Local and raw if possible) Honey
- 1/2 tsp real Vanilla Extract
Add the herbal coffee blend to a tea ball or wrap in a fabric or coffee filter. Use a large mug. Pour the boiling water over the coffee blend and steep for 3-5 minutes - dunk up and down a few times to release, squeeze the herbs and compost. Add the honey and stir. Then add the milk and vanilla. Adjust to your preferred flavor, or simply add your favorite creamer. For an iced drink, add some ice, or throw everything in a blender and crush for a finer consistency. Enjoy!