At Esali Birth, we go far beyond "what to expect" in birth. While "birth class" is often what people call it - that's simply because it is a term that has been around for so long. Additionally, people think of the word "doula" as someone that only supports moms during labor - and that is not completely accurate, either. Ideally, your care provider is the one that not only educates you and supports you and provides breastfeeding guideance, but reality these days doesn't really offer the opportunity for providers to have the time to do so. This is where a birth educator comes in and then often a separate doula after that and then a separate lactation counselor after that. However, reducing the amount of people not only in the birth itself, but overall during the perinatal journey has many values. No matter what you want to call it - someone that provides a continuum of education and support from pregnancy through labor and into postpartum not only has the value of trust, but the value of knowing your personal journey. Even more than a standard series, I LOVE focusing on individualized education - because just like your care provider for birth, the information you receive prenatally is specific to your needs. Working with couples in private mentoring sessions allows me to focus on not only your questions, but techniques that are specific to your pregnancy, birth, and postpartum.
What might a prenatal mentoring session look like? That really depends on your goals, and where you are in your childbearing journey. We may:
- Talk about birth history and the birth industry and how that will influence your health and happiness - do you know how the business of birth changes your options and safety? We'll talk about the safety of birth in the US, too.
- Process a previous birth (or even a birth story you've heard) to reduce fear and move on to enjoying your perinatal experience - Do you know how this can affect the comfort and health of your birth? We'll talk about that, too.
- Work on body techniques to eliminate pregnancy discomfort and help position baby for the best birth possible - Do you know techniques you can do at home to reduce these discomforts and why misalignment changes even things like vaginal birth and VBAC? We'll talk about that, too.
- Discover nutrition that will increase your health, your baby's health, and reduce chances of things like rupture of the membranes before labor due to nutrition - Do you know about whole foods and herbal therapies? We'll talk about that, too.
- Find a birth team to best support your needs - Do you know what is available to you from home to hospital? We'll explore your options.
- Develop a relationship that carries into trust in birth so I am not only your "labor doula" - but a connected part of your team that knows more about your history, who you are, and what you desire - Do you know what a doula can do for you AND Dad? Let's discuss that, too.
- Build confidence in you AND dad so you can work together through the perinatal stages and become empowered parents - because confidence is key and I want you to walk away from a mentoring session with a smile and an energy excited for birth.
Wow, and that's just the tip of the iceberg! Overall, we're not only working towards your goals in birth - but in creating the happiest birth possible because a happy birth is a healthy birth. One on one sessions - virtually or locally - help you have that special time to focus on you and a guide along the way to provide you with information and resources that support you holistically without having to spend hours and hours in parenting groups and blogs trying to filter through the information.
Interested in a session or series? Get in touch!